POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Out of memory errors : Out of memory errors Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:27:47 EDT (-0400)
  Out of memory errors
From: Mike Metheny
Date: 14 Jul 2001 12:59:43
Message: <3b507a7f$1@news.povray.org>
Okay; POV doesn't seem to play nice with memory.  I've got a data file I'm
trying to parse and render.  It's over 13 megs, and is basically around
320,000 spheres (I estimate. . .I don't know exactly; that's a rough
mathematical guess).  I tried rendering it on my computer and it sucked up
all my pagefile, and gave me an error after about 6 minutes of parsing
(during that time I could not do anything on my computer).

So I took it to my roommate's computer (much faster).  I started it, and
after some 10 hours of parsing, I got the same error.

So the question is, how do I go about rendering something like this?  I'm
quite upset with POV, it really really sucks up all resources, even in
win2k, which has good memory management.

Could one of my problems be the union statement that encompasses all of
these spheres?  I only put that in there for convenience to just 'group' the
spheres.  If this is screwing me over, it's easily removable.

So, how do I render this sucker without fubaring my computer?

Thanks. . .

--

Mike Metheny

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."